Friday, November 2, 2007

Beyond Pad Thai


I admit it.

I am addicted to Thai cuisine.

About 8 years ago, I was flying to Los Angeles every month to support a large client in the Burbank area, and I discovered Thai cuisine in Los Angeles, at a nice little restaurant named "Basil". They became my staple in my "left coast" home - especially for dinner prior to my "red eye" flight back to Philly on Friday nights.

Back in Philadelphia, I began to frequent "My Thai" on South Street, and then Erawan on 22nd and Market. At the time, I was doing technology consulting for Rosenbluth Corporate Travel, so it was easy to grab lunch at these spots.

All along, my favorite was Thai curry (red - then the spicier green curry), and I began to take on the qualities of a Thai cuisine snob.

I was looking for rich, hot curries with fragrant jasmine rice that had a stick quality. I wanted significant "heat" with the aroma of fresh herbs, such as basil, kaffir lime leaves and coriander.

One day in Sept 07, I found myself Philadelphia's Chinatown looking for authentic Thai ingredients. It surprised me that the Asian markets in Chinatown were without my authentic Thai ingredients. It was as though Thai cuisine was relatively foreign to Philadelphia's Chinatown.

Eventually, I found myself in the Olney area of Philadelphia, at a Thai grocer on Old York Road (just off of Broad Street). Hooray for small favors! I found a few "hard to find" ingredients, such as kaffir leaves.

After searching 5 grocers for the authentic ingredients, I returned home to assemble to Green Curry paste with my elusive ingredients hailing from the tropical central Thai region.

Lucky me! My first cousin (male) married a woman from Cambodia, who was raised in Thailand. They live in a nearby suburb and I can attest that she knows how to make an awesome Thai Curry! I hope to take lessons from her before end of year.


As far as the recipe is concerned:

While many websites will designate the chief ingredient to be "curry paste", few will teach you to make curry past. This one does:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicurrypasterecipes/r/greencurrypaste.htm

Thai green curry paste is surprisingly easy to make! Added to chicken or other meats, as well as seafood, noodles, vegetables, tofu, or wheat gluten, this paste will create sumptuous curries. Easily make a sumptuous curry chicken using this recipe, plus a wide range of other Thai dishes that are certain to please. Use right away, or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and use it as you need it. Much better-tasting than store-bought curry pastes - and much healthier too!
INGREDIENTS:
1 stalk lemongrass (for complete instructions, see below)
2 Tbsp. coriander seeds, pounded with pestle & mortar (or ground in a coffee grinder)
2 Tbsp. fish sauce (available at Asian grocers), or Vegetarian fish sauce (available at Vietnamese stores), OR soy sauce
1 tsp. shrimp paste (if vegetarian, substitute one additional Tbsp. vegetarian fish sauce)
1 tsp. sugar
1-2 green chillies, de-seeded (or seeds left in if you like it very hot)
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size piece of galangal (or ginger), peeled and sliced
3-4 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen (look for these in the freezer at your Asian grocer)
1 cup fresh coriander, include both leaves and stems
1 tsp. dark soy sauce
1/3 cup coconut milk (or enough to keep the blades turning)
1 cup Thai holy basil or sweet basil


PREPARATION:
For complete instructions on how to buy and cook with lemongrass, see: All About Lemongrass: Your Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with Lemongrass.

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process well.

To use the paste immediately, first fry it in a little oil until fragrant. Then add coconut milk plus your meat, seafood, or pasta and/or vegetables. Also add leftover lemongrass stalk.
When cooked, always do a taste taste for salt and spice. Add more fish or soy sauce if not salty enough, or more chillies if not hot enough. If too spicy, add more coconut milk. If too salty, add a squeeze of lime juice.

When serving, top your green curry recipe with another generous helping of fresh basil.
You can store your green curry paste in an airtight container in the refrigerator for use later. Paste will last 2 weeks (or longer), as the spices help to preserve it.

Cut chicken into thin strips.

Chop the beans into lengthy strips. Cook the green curry paste in pan or wok, stirring for about 3 or so minutes until it is you can smell the spices and herbs.

Add the chicken and beans to the pan and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Add the coconut cream, stir in and simmer, uncovered for about 3 to 5 minutes or until dish slightly thickens.

This recipe is best made just before serving with steamed jasmine rice, which can be found in your local Asian food market.

From what I can tell, the distinctive ingredients are basil, kaffir lime leaves, coriander and coconut milk.

ABOUT THAILAND:
I had originally wanted to spend my 40th birthday on Thailand. This was due to the climate and geography (Beaches, tropical) - and the food. But, my mother mentioned concerns about children being kidnapped in Thailand - and I started to worry about the 15 hour flight with a 10 yr old. Thus, I decided that Italy would be more agreeable, and Thailand would surely wait another year or so. I need at least 1 full year to prepare for Thailand.

The Kingdom of Thailand draws more visitors than any other country in southeast Asia with its irresistible combination of breathtaking natural beauty, inspiring temples, renowned hospitality, robust cuisine and ruins of fabulous ancient kingdoms. Few countries are so well endowed. I was looking forward to beaches, tropical climate, tropical food, culture shock and cultural immersion.
In preparation for our visit to Thailand, I took my daughter and her best friend shopping in Philadelphia's Chinatown for fruit and vegetables that are indigenous to to Thailand. We spent a beautiful Saturday afternoon strolling Chinatown. The girls (both 9) were told that they could buy anything (within reason) that they couldn't name or recognize.

We then invited my parents over and laid all of the fruit samples out on the table, next to handmade signs (made by the girls) identifying each item. Each person had to taste each item and identify their most and lease favorites.
Immediately, everyone agreed that the longan fruit was their favorite. We weren't surprised. The ladies in the Asian market assured us that this was the favorite of many and we saw lots of shoppers buying longan.
The verdict on the least favorite (to put it mildly) was unanimous - the Dorian. It is a large fruit, the size of a football.
Immediately upon slicing it, my home filled with the stench of rancid garbage and onions. Gross! Everyone backed away from the table, except my father, who is willing to try anything. Interestingly, the inside of the dorian was ice-cold.
Once sliced open, the inside is divided in chambers containing an icy cold custard-like filling. It is very strange that it was cold, because it had not been chilled and was room temp on the outside. But, the temperature was fitting because there is nothing about this fruit that is inviting or appealing. Though, I have read that many SE Asians love it!
Dad used a spoon to scoop up some of the custard and ate it. His facial expression was one of confusion and interest, but not appreciation. I was curious about that, so I tried it myself. I then understood dad's reaction.
At first, the Dorian tricks you. It takes like ice-cream....cold and custardy. Then something begins to emerge from within the custard - something horrifying. You begin to taste onions (old onions) and then a deeper taste of old garbage. How can this appeal to anyone?
At this point, everyone was begging me to "take it outside". I wrapped "it" (the dorian) in a plastic bag and put it out into the trash can. I worried since my trash day was a week away, and I hoped "it" wouldn't intensify out in the trash.
If you don't believe me about this thing, try googling "dorian" or, better yet, head to your local Asian grocer and try one for yourself.
Here's a photo of the inside of "it". Ugh! I can barely look at it.

Coincidentally, later that Saturday night, I was watching one of the very few TV channels I enjoy, the Travel Channel, and host Andrew Zimmern (Show: Bizarre Foods) was in SE Asia and was trying to eat a dorian. He noted that he had previously tried to eat one, but couldn't - and was going to give it another try. If you have never seen this show, the premise is that the host can eat anything - and he travels around the world looking for strange foods to enjoy.

Well, the durian got him again! He had to spit it out and admitted that the durian was one of the few foods that he cannot handle. What's more odd is that McDonald's restaurants in parts of Asia actually sell Dorian shakes! Just goes to show - our tastes are cultivated by our environment. I'm sure there are things that we, in America, eat that the SE Asians would find horrid.

My favorite Philadelphia Thai restaurant is now Chabaa Thai on Main Street in Manayunk. It's just convenient - and the food is quite good. I do a great deal of take-out from this place since it is close to home. I wish Mt Airy had a resident Thai restaurant.

I am not the only one in my household with a taste for Thai. My 9 yr old daughter has a thing for Thai Iced Tea (Cha Yen). It is a very strong black tea infused with star anise, tamirand, cinnamon, orange and cardamon - and then sweetened with condensed milk and sugar. The result is very exotic tasting treat. Mind you, if your child is affected by sugar (as is mine), don't allow him/her to have this treat anywhere near bedtime!
My favorite local spot for the more commonly found Pad Thai is CinCin in Chestnut Hill. They have an Pan-Asian/French fusion menu. If you order Pad Thai along with the the jumbo lump crabcakes accompanied by white wine mustard sauce with basil, you won't be disappointed!

This past summer, I was overnighting in Red Bank, NJ in preparation to take a sailing class in the area and I found what became my all-time favorite Thai restaurant, anywhere.

Siam Garden is a fabulously decorated BYOB restaurant where they served my green curry in a little warming pot over a candle. I was able to leisurely drink my BYOB wine and hold conversation while this DELICIOUS curry was kept warm. Really, it was one of the best curries I've ever tasted, and I've had many.

They also took care to chill our wine in a beautiful ice-bucket (the sign of a better BYO) and we spent a couple of hours just relaxing and talking before heading back to our room at the Molly Pitcher Inn (wonderful hotel in Red Bank) to get some sleep prior to a 2 day ASA course where we spent the next night sleeping on a small yacht, in a slip across from a man and his family who I really think are The Sopranos (gheez!)! Maybe I'll do another post about that night. I can laugh now - not then.

Of course, these restaurants are close to me (Cin Cin = 5 mins; Chabba = 10 Minutes). If something comparable is close to you, it is certainly worth the first opportunity to win your loyalty.

Cheers!
Steff

No comments: